We remain at Battle Abbey for one more episode, this time learning how the people of the abbey offended God and looking at the death scenes of Abbot Walter de Lucy and Abbot Ralph.
This Episode’s Text:
- The Chronicle of Battel Abbey from 1066 to 1176. Translated by Mark Antony Lower, John Russell Smith, 1851. (At Google Books)
- Searle, Eleanor, editor and translator. The Chronicle of Battle Abbey. Oxford UP, 1980.
- Binski, Paul. Medieval Death: Ritual and Representation. Cornell UP, 1996.
- van’t Land, Karine. “Long Life, Natural Death: The Learned Ideal of Dying in Late Medieval Commentaries on Avicenna’s Canon.” Early Science and Medicine, vol. 19, 2014, pp. 558-583.
- Parsons, Elsie Clews. “Notes on Folk-Lore of Guilford County, North Carolina.” The Journal of American Folklore, vol. 30, no. 116 (Apr.-Jun. 1917), pp. 201-208.