This Episode’s Text:
- The Chronicle of Battel Abbey from 1066 to 1176. Translated by Mark Antony Lower, John Russell Smith, 1851. (At Google Books)
- Lanfranc. The Letters of Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury. Edited and translated by Helen Clover and Margaret Gibson, Clarendon Press, 1979.
- Searle, Eleanor, editor and translator. The Chronicle of Battle Abbey. Oxford UP, 1980.
- Kerr, Julie. “Heavenly Hosts.” History Today, Nov. 2007, pp. 54-59.
- The Rule of St. Benedict. Translated by Leonard Doyle, 1948. The Order of Saint Benedict, http://www.osb.org/rb/text/toc.html.
- “Martinmas – A European Feast.” Medieval Histories, 10 Nov. 2014, http://www.medievalhistories.com/martinmass-is-a-european-feast/.
Image: detail of birds roasting on a spit from Bodleian MS MS 264 fol 170v.